Maryborough is a small country town which is located 250 km north of Brisbane and is on the Mary River.
At present, there are just over 100 growers supplying sugarcane to the Mill and the cane is harvested from an area of approximately 13,500 hectares. All cane is delivered to the Mill by road transport in either b-double and single trailers.
The mill typically processes 700,000 to 800,000 tonnes of sugarcane in a crushing season extending from July to November each year. Total sugar production is 90,000 to 100,000 tonnes.
The Maryborough District was one of the first sugarcane growing areas in Queensland. The first cane grown in Maryborough was in the garden of Baddow House by Edgar Thomas Aldridge. The first sugar manufactured in the district was in 1862 when John Buhot demonstrated sugar making using cane grown on John Eaton's plantation "Rose Hill Estate".
Following the success of this demonstration, a number of juice mills and plantations were established along Tinana Creek and the Mary River. At one stage there were over 300 growers and three dozen juice mills. The Yengarie meat boiling down works was converted in 1866 to a sugar refinery and rum distillery using raw juice from the small mills being established throughout the district.
Maryborough Mill began in 1886 as a juice mill in the Island Plantation area. Following major flooding in the Mary River in 1893, the decision was made to relocate the mill to a "flood free" site 2 km from Maryborough and to upgrade the mill to produce raw sugar. Production started in 1895 and has continued every year since. With the completion of the Maryborough Mill, the juice era ended and the Yengarie refinery closed down.
1864 John Buhot made the first sugar crystalized in Queensland using cane grown in the Botanic Gardens.
1886 Maryborough began as a juice mill in the Island Plantation area.
1893 Major flooding in the Mary River forced the relocation of Maryborough Mill 2km from Maryborough.
1895 Production of raw sugar begins.
1955 Commencement of cane growing (after acquiring land at Iindah and Granville).
1956 Maryborough Mill listed on the Australian Stock Exchange.
2006 Record Maryborough district sugar cane crop of 985,231 tonnes.
2006 Record Maryborough sugar production of 132,387 tonnes.
2008 Acquisition of The Mulgrave Central Mill Company Limited.
2010 Joint Venture entered into with Bundaberg Sugar Ltd.
2011 Acquisition of South Johnstone and Tableland Mills after exercising option under JV Agreement.
2011 Change of name to MSF Sugar Limited and relocation of Registered Office to Gordonvale.
2012 MSF Sugar Limited acquired 100% by Mitr Phol Sugar Corp Ltd.
2012 MSF Sugar Limited delists from the Australian Securities Exchange.