The Maryborough District was one of the first cane growing areas in Queensland. The first cane grown in Maryborough was in the garden of Baddow House by Edgar Thomas Aldridge. The first sugar manufactured in the district was in 1862 when John Buhot demonstrated sugar making using cane grown on John Eaton's plantation "Rose Hill Estate".
Following the success of this demonstration, a number of juice mills and plantations were established along Tinana Creek and the Mary River. At one stage there were over 300 growers and three dozen juice mills. The Yengarie meat boiling down works was converted in 1866 to a sugar refinery and rum distillery using raw juice from the small mills being established throughout the district.
Maryborough Mill began in 1886 as a juice mill in the Island Plantation area. Following major flooding in the Mary River in 1893, the decision was made to relocate the mill to a "flood free" site 2 km from Maryborough and to upgrade the mill to produce raw sugar. Production started in 1895 and has continued every year since. With the completion of the Maryborough Mill, the juice era ended and the Yengarie refinery closed down.
|1864||John Buhot made the first sugar crystalized in Queensland using cane grown in the Botanic Gardens|
|1886||Maryborough began as a juice mill in the Island Plantation area|
|1893||Major flooding in the Mary River forced the relocation of Maryborough Mill 2km from Maryborough|
|1895||Production of raw sugar begins|
|1955||Commencement of cane growing (after acquiring land at Iindah and Granville)|
|1956||Maryborough Mill listed on the Australian Stock Exchange|
|2006||Record Maryborough district sugar cane crop of 985,231 tonnes|
|Record Maryborough sugar production of 132,387 tonnes|
|2008||Acquisition of The Mulgrave Central Mill Company Limited|
|2010||Joint venture entered into with Bundaberg Sugar Ltd|
|2011||Acquisition of South Johnstone and Tableland Mills after exercising option under Joint Venture Agreement|
|Change of name to MSF Sugar Limited and relocation of head office to Gordonvale|
|2012||MSF Sugar Limited acquired 100% by Mitr Phol Sugar Corp Ltd|
|MSF Sugar Limited delists from the Australian Securities Exchange|